Friday, August 8, 2014

putting away salmon

My DIL brought us salmon when she came to visit.  There is nothing better than fresh salmon.  When I moved to Alaska from the lower 48 I had this misconception that all salmon tastes the same. When I lived in Wyoming I would go to Walmart and buy a fillet, bring it home, cook it and love it. 

Now, I am very picky about the type of salmon and also the region it comes from.  My favorite salmon is king salmon from the Nushagak River.  My favorite red salmon comes from either the Copper River or the Kenai River. 

Some love more fat on their fish and some like it more lean.  The longer the river the salmon have to travel the more fat content.  I prefer fish with a thick layer of fat.  The flavor is richer and more full. 

2 comments:

  1. That salmon looks yummy! xo Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy as it may seem we have not even eaten any yet. I am sure it will be delish. It is in the freezer waiting for me.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the web.
Leaca